Monday, March 19, 2007

It's difficult enough getting a job as a foreigner here.

A shop in the nearby town center has placed up a sign for help during Saturdays and Public Holidays. As I am somewhere along the lines of "Super" and "Duper" free on either one of the criteria, I walked in and decided to apply for the job.

Only to find out that they are hiring "Junior Staff".

Which means, High school students.

Why?

"Because we Uni students have a minimum wage."

...

<_<

>_>

Meeh, they charge over $7 a meal, and they are unwilling to pay me $12+ an hour, which would just about cover my rent every week. $12 may seem a lot, but its actually quite low, given the high standard of living here. Meals can easily go over $10 if you are not careful ($8 is more realistic, but if you want something better, it will be over $10).

And hence, I am still unemployed.

I think I need to start hitting the newspapers. Just looking and waiting after submitting resumes are just too annoying, since they probably won't call back. Given that I've heard nothing from even Subway thus far, I can say that it's time to take more drastic measures.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home